Is it too early to showcase my best reads of the year? If the rapid changing of days is an indication, I might wake up one day and realize it’s already 2015 so better start these yearly specials promptly.
I’m little sad because I didn’t read a lot this year compare to last year. I sort of cheated my GR challenge and decided to lower it to 150 to achieve my goal. (I need to balance my hobbies, seriously.) And because I’m pretty sure that there’s huge chance that I won’t be able (more on really unmotivated) to read a book. I think it’s safe to say that this list is final.
Enough of my needless whining here’s the crème de la crème of 2014!
Brand Spanking New (Best Debut [Standalone/Starter] Novel)
- Rebel Belle (Rebel Belle, #1) by Hawkins, Rachel – Still has that Ms. Hawkins’s fun and snarky heroine and much, much more. I remember laughing my way ‘til the end. That’s how much fun it was!
Next in Line (Best Sequel/Part of a Series)
- Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3) by Mafi, Tahereh – Do I need to spell it out? No? Ok!
Eye Candy (Best Book Cover!)
- The Winner’s Curse (The Winner’s Trilogy #1) by Marie Rutkoski – I might have not loved the story but hot damn that COVER!
Shipper’s Award (Best Couple)
- Naruto Uzumaki & Hinata Hyuuga (Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto) – I’ve decided to include mangas (graphic novels) in the list. And since the series ended this year, with them being the end game (married and all) and I’m shipping these two for about 10 years; I have to choose them over Warner & Juliette (they won already last year). I’m in a bliss! I need the movie with all the naruhina fluff. Damn it, SM Cinema for chickening out the last minute. Now I have to wait next month to watch it! >.<
Indie-mand (Best Self-Published Novel)
- Love Show by Bell, Audrey – Angtsy, sexy and raw? Sure most NA books have that, too, but this one delivered it better than the rest!
The RE-invent! (Retellings, Mythology/Folklore inspired, etc.)
The Shadow Prince (Into the Dark #1) by Bree Despain – May not be the best and predictable at times but it was really enjoyable!
Larger than life! (Best Contemporary Book)
- Since You’ve Been Gone by Matson, Morgan & To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, #1) by Han, Jenny – I can’t choose! So these two will have to do!
Re-wind! ((Best Historical/Fantasy Novel)
- Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman’s Daughter, #2) by Shepherd, Megan – I didn’t have a lot of options. In all fairness this one is very good, too. I enjoyed it!
Into the future! (Best Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic Book)
- Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3) by Rossi, Veronica – Is it really the end? *sobs* An awesome ending to an awesome series!
Trailblazers (Best Book Hero + Heroine):
- Kaneki Ken and Touka Kirishima (Tokyo Ghoul by Sui Ishida) – ASDFGHHKJLKJAGDKSDLSLAA;; THEY ARE ABSOLUTE BAD-ASS OF COURSE THEY WON IT. HANDS DOWN!!! And with that the best novel of the year goes to—
Best read of 2014
TOKYO GHOUL (東京喰種トーキョーグール) BY SUI ISHIDA
Oh man, I loved this series. I might have cried bucket of tears when I learned that the series wrapped up suddenly. But behold the power of a sequel!!! And know what, I think, I just think, that I’m enjoying Tokyo Ghoul:re than the first series. I love Haise oh so much!!! If you want dark, gritty and absolutely amazing storytelling (Sui Ishida is a brilliant author, I’m in awe with this man’s talent), Tokyo Ghoul is your story!
And that wraps up my Best of the Best for this year (this is my third time doing it! Woot!!). I have few books to choose from but I know I awarded the deserving ones! Yay! xD
How about you, which books top your best read of 2014? Or do you also do this annually like me? Share me your thought or links if you have any!