First Happy Single Awareness Day, er Happy Valentine’s Day! We’re gonna talk about my love (and hate) with love triangles! But mostly love! You ask: is that even possible, you love the three people in the love triangle? Why of course! I don’t hide the fact that I love the drama brought by love triangle. I know A LOT of people are put off by this romantic device. But not me! This rare breed is actually like the drama it elicits in the story! Although I must say that I rarely get invested with other party simultaneously (many instances I root the second lead). It’s always either I ship hard or ship harder! It’s very unusual even for me to like both rivals in the love triangle!
So today I’m gonna highlight the unusuals! The ones that defy the norm—even for me! What makes a good love triangle to me? When both rivals are on equal footing, or they are actually have decent interactions outside context of the story’s romance. Personally, when I’m actually conflicted to whom to root for~ Because they both have scorching chemistry with the heroine (or vice versa though I have yet to encounter such…) So there’s the dilemma~ A delicious one at that~!
1. Domyouji Tsukasa, Makino, Tsukushi, Hanazawa, Rui (Hana Yori Dango) – this won’t be complete without the poster trio! I loved Tsukasa and Rui so much! Bcos of Tsukasa and Makino’s roller-coaster ride, sometimes I treasure those tiny Makino + Rui moments! But I can’t help still rooting for mah boi Tsukasa after their hardships! Ah a love triangle indeed! >.<
2. Jae Ha; Yona; Son Hak (Akatsuki no Yona) – So-Won? Nope, I’m a Jaeha fan! The green beautiful beast who is secretly harboring affections and trying dismiss it as the dragon’s calling is my other boy! But who actually believe that? Not me! I loved Hak, he’s admirable and selfless but those little Jaeha + Yona moments did tug my heart! Perhaps it’s one sided love for my beautiful green dragon but those moments are forever etched~
3. Matsuoka, Masamune; Tachibana, Hotaru; Midori, Nagamasa (Aoharu x Kikanjuu) – let me get this out my chest first: this is SHONEN not shoujo! Shonen is a demographic not genre! Get it! Ok, let’s continue I know that Midori likes to tease Tachibana, and Mattsun, ironically who works as host blushes like high school boy in front of Tachibana are my ultimate 0T3 in this series! I know the romance is so freaking minimal but chapters like onsen happens once in a while and I can’t stop kyaa~ kyaa~ whenever it happens! Based Naoe-sensei!
4. Mizutani, Azusa, Okitsu, Rise, Akamaru, Omi (Gakuen Ouji) – I usually go for the childhood friend and the caring one AKA Akamaru but I can’t help being sad when Mizutani was sad. Gakuen Ouji had quite an ensemble but obviously these three is ‘THE’ trinity! I just root whomever on the scene LOL! That was how conflicted I was!
5. Naitou, Arou, Ootsuka, Kanade, Namiki, Masahiro (Mekakushi no Kuni) – the healthiest love triangle ever. Even though Arou + Kanade were a couple in the earlier chapters, Namiki didn’t lose the spotlight! He was still there, supporting, sometimes teases (at some cases too hard-core ahaha) but overall have unfailing solid friendship born between the three! Who says love triangle is always dramatic? These three will prove you wrong!
6. Takemoto, Yuuta, Hanamoto, Hagumi, Morita, Shinobu (Hachimitsu to Clover) — even though it was unrequited on Takemoto’s part, I can’t help loving these three! I root for Morita and Hagu, the same way I cheered for Takemoto and his one-sided affection! Seriously, ever single relationship (or whatever you may call it) in this series though complicated were depicted humanly & positively as it can be!
7. Tsubaki, Haru, Naedoko, Kanoko, Yabuki, You (Koi Dano Ai Dano) – You already how much I loved this series and I equally love other aspects of it! This includes the romance! I really liked how different Tsubaki and Yabuki and yet, when they have moments with Nadeoko the chemistry is undeniable. I loved both boys, although I leaned teeny bit more to Tsubaki (bcos he was there much longer!) but I can’t lie that I was swooning over those Yabuki + Nadeoko scenes, too!
8. Tsukishiro Nina, Roy, Gilles (Abigaile no Kemono-tachi) – At first I was swooning over the kind, affectionate Gilles! But when some secrets were laid out I moved on to the hard-headed, bad boy Roy in a snap! But Gilles was actually kind so I get gaga again, but Roy is softening bit by bit and it tugs my fragile heart! Gaaah, it a see-saw so quick and I love it! These boys! Nina you lucky, lucky girl!
9. Tsuruga Ren, Mogami, Kyouko, Fuwa Shou (Skip Beat!) – I know when I was listing this the first one that came to my mind were these three! I know, I know Ren has the upper hand now, and Sho’s too late bcos of his douchiness in the beginning, but no one can convince me that there’s no chemistry between Sho + Kyouko! Bcos there’s still there and the three of them featured in a panel is a solid proof that triangle is a perfect shape—consist of this perfect people!
10. Yoshida, Haru, Mizutani, Shizuku, Yamaguchi, Kenji (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun) – I only have watched the series BUT! I loved YamaKen! I also liked Haru, and he & Shizuku looked good together! So even small shippy moments with YamaKen gave my heart tiny summersault! Gaaah these kids!!!
And that’s it! That’s my top 10 (in no particular order!) favorite love triangles~ Since this is my blog’s MO, I’m turning the mic to you now! Yes, you—do you have favorite love triangle or OT3! What made it so hard to choose! Leave me some lovin~ by sharing your thoughts or liking this post! Huzzah!